Sitting in a quiet space, peacefully breastfeeding your baby and staring into their adoring face is an experience every mother should have. The problem? Breastfeeding isn’t for the faint of heart, at least not in the beginning.
What most expect to be a “natural” endeavor that you and your baby will just know inherently, actually comes with a steep learning curve that’s full of challenges. Breastfeeding can be hard, without the right supports and know-how in place that is.
But guess what, Mama? There are a variety of fantastic online breastfeeding classes that will give you the exact support you need.
And the best part? No matter where you’re at in your breastfeeding journey, there’s likely an online breastfeeding class tailored to your needs.
So if you’re…
- An expecting mama who wants to learn as much you can about breastfeeding before baby gets here
- Just had your baby and need some breastfeeding basics
- Are facing breastfeeding obstacles or weight gain issues and need support to help you pull through
- Are trying to navigate pumping and a return to work but have no idea where to start when it comes to pumping and storing milk for your baby
… then keep reading, mama, we’ve found an online breastfeeding class just for you 🙂
Disclaimer: We may be compensated through the affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are our own. Read more here.
Benefits of Enrolling in an Online Breastfeeding Classes
1. Do it on your own schedule and time
You probably don’t need me to remind you that life is busy and the idea of going to a breastfeeding class or support group at a scheduled time can feel impossible.
With a newborn in tow, getting put together and out of the house is a challenge in itself. Getting somewhere on time? Forget it.
And if you’re still expecting, you also have a busy life that’s likely full of commitments. Just like the convenience of an online childbirth class, you can learn about breastfeeding from home too!
For these reasons, having a class that is available to view anytime and wherever you want is pretty sweet. Watch it at 2 o’clock in the morning, you may very well be up anyway 😉
2. Re-watch as many times as you need or consult it in times of struggle
This is a huge benefit to an online breastfeeding class! As your breastfeeding journey progresses, new and different challenges may arise. Or you may begin to doubt something that you thought was going well at first.
If you’re an expecting mother looking at enrolling in an online breastfeeding class, this is also fantastic. You can watch your class before baby comes to build some foundational knowledge. Then, when baby arrives, you can go back and consult the class as many times as you need.
An online breastfeeding class typically comes with 6-12 months (or more) of access. This means, you can constantly go back, rewatch, and consult the class videos when you’re in need of support.
3. Learn how to breastfeed successfully with the support of your partner or other loved one
In-person breastfeeding support groups or appointments with lactation consultants almost exclusively occur during daytime hours. This makes them conducive to stay at home moms, or mothers on maternity leave almost exclusively.
With an online breastfeeding class, your partner or other loved one can watch and take the class with you. Having a second set of ears involved can be so helpful. In the beginning it isn’t even unusual to need two people to help latch your baby in certain scenarios. Or to hold your baby while you’re getting ready to feed them. Taking the class with a partner will be a wonderful asset.
4. Build your confidence and remove any doubt, anxiety and unknown associated with breastfeeding
Whether you’re expecting, your breastfeeding journey has just begun, or you’re getting ready to return to work, there is always some element of anxiety associated with the unknown. Breastfeeding is an unknown skill that needs to be practiced and mastered, just like any other skill! With anything that you feel is important to succeed at, you enlist the help of professionals. Enrolling in an online breastfeeding class is doing just that.
An online breastfeeding class will boost your confidence and remove any anxiety you might have surrounding your ability to thrive at breastfeeding with your baby.
5. Learn how to thrive at breastfeeding or troubleshoot problems from breastfeeding experts (IBCLC)
Every online breastfeeding class included in this round-up is taught by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) or Certified Lactation Educator (CLE). These are the experts you need to give you information about breastfeeding.
Additionally, a number of online breastfeeding classes featured in this round-up include specific information to help you troubleshoot things like issues with baby’s weight gain, mastitis, thrush, shallow latch, identifying lip ties and more.
Online Breastfeeding Classes Reviewed
Alright, let’s get to the reviews! We’ve spent the time researching and learning about all of your online breastfeeding class options. This way you’ll know you are investing in the class that is the right fit for you and your unique breastfeeding journey.
Below you will see in-depth reviews of:
- Lactation Link Breastfeeding Basics
- Lactation Link Breastfeeding Hurdles & How-Tos
- Lactation Link Pumping and Storing Breastmilk
- Baby Manual on Breastfeeding
- Baby Manual Complete Guide
- Breastfeeding: The Ultimate MRE
- Milkology: The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class
- Milkology: The Ultimate Back to Work Pumping Class
- Simply Breastfeeding Online Class
- Milk Sprout: Breastfeeding Basics
- Milk Sprout: Pumping and Storing Breastmilk
- Mama Natural Birth Course with Breastfeeding Master Class
Lactation Link Review
Lactation Link is a fabulous resource for prenatal breastfeeding education and breastfeeding support after birth. Their online breastfeeding courses are taught by Lindsey Shipley, RN IBCLC. They offer three different courses depending on your specific needs and where you’re at in your breastfeeding journey. When you buy the three class bundle, you are investing in the most comprehensive online breastfeeding class available.
Who is Lactation Link For?
- The pregnant mama! Lactation Link refers to this class as the perfect “Prenatal Breastfeeding Class” and recommends it to pregnant women
- The mama of a brand new baby that wants a complete video reference guide to the breastfeeding essentials
- The pregnant mama that wants more specific info and knowledge about the all too common hurdles breastfeeding presents
- The breastfeeding mama who wants a complete reference to common breastfeeding hurdles, even ones you might not face until later in your journey like biting, nursing strikes, breastfeeding an older baby and introducing solids
- Mothers planning their return to work
- Any mama who wants to be able to maximize their milk expression and supply breastmilk to their baby when they need to be apart
*Note that you can also purchase all 3 classes in their Complete 3 Video Course!
Pros of Lactation Link
- Ideal prenatal breastfeeding education
- A complete and thorough foundation of breastfeeding
- Includes information about “Kangaroo Mother Care” and the benefits of skin to skin
- Teaches specifics about baby’s hunger cues, what to do when baby won’t latch, and frequency feeding
- Comes with unlimited access which makes it the perfect resource to consult whenever any issue arises, or you are in need of reminders or support with things like baby’s latch, hand expression, your let down and more.
Run Time: 70 min
- Will prepare expecting and breastfeeding mamas to handle common breastfeeding obstacles and problems
- Gives specific information on how to increase milk supply, deal with an over-supply and help your baby to gain more weight
- Will be a resource you can consult throughout your breastfeeding journey because it covers topics such as biting, nursing strikes, breastfeeding the older baby and introducing solids. All obstacles you will likely face as your baby grows
- Educates and provides treatment ideas and plans for common breastfeeding issues like, thrush, mastitis, and tongue ties. These were obstacles I felt powerless to as a new breastfeeding mama with an oversupply.
- Note: does not cover breastfeeding basics
Run Time: 60 min
- Teaches you how to build a freezer stash and also when to do it so that you don’t negatively impact your supply in the process
- Gives you a thorough understanding of how your pump works and how to clean it
- Explains how and when to give a bottle to your breastfed baby
- Provides support on how to manage our many roles as women
- Talks about safe handling, storage, and warming guidelines
Run Time: 45 min
Cons of Lactation Link
Individually, each class is lacking in some aspect simply because it doesn’t contain the others. However, if you purchase the Complete 3 Video Course, it truly creates the ultimate, gold standard online breastfeeding class in my opinion.
Learn more about Lactation Link.
The Baby Manual Review
Baby Manual is the resource that all first time mamas need! They’ve created a series of online video series that will actually prepare you for the trial and tribulations of life with a newborn. And yes, that includes an in-depth, entertaining, and professional online breastfeeding class.
No other class on this list is presented in the entertaining, documentary style like this one. You will hear from a variety of couples and mothers, and see engaging video footage while learning from medical experts. They offer two classes that include breastfeeding, The Baby Manual on Breastfeeding and The Baby Manual Complete Guide to 0-6 Month Olds.
Who is The Baby Manual for?
- Expecting Couples and Mamas who want to succeed at breastfeeding
- Mothers of newborns that need foundational breastfeeding knowledge
- Expecting Couples who want information on breastfeeding AND information about newborn care
- Parents of newborns that need a crash course in newborn care and foundational breastfeeding knowledge presented in an engaging format
Pros of The Baby Manual:
- Includes interviews and advice from real breastfeeding mothers in addition to Taryn, IBCLC and Heather, a certified doula
- Educates about all of the foundations of breastfeeding including: proper latch, positions, signs of fullness, milk supply, and nipple pain
- Includes information about pumping and storing
- Talks about common setbacks associated with breastfeeding and how to identify and treat plugged ducts before they turn into mastitis (something I wish I’d known before it happened to me!)
- Discusses nursing in public, an all too common challenge and anxiety for new breastfeeding mothers
Run Time: 41 min
- Includes all of the pros of the breastfeeding class listed above
- Goes into detail about what gear you need and how to use it all with your new baby. Including how to get your baby safely home from the hospital
- Teaches newborn and baby care, how to create a routine and what to really expect in the first few weeks
- Learn about what to look out for in terms of baby health (i.e. gas, rashes, cradle cap, colds and fevers) and how to do infant CPR
- Educates about the reality of infant sleep
- Includes information and discussion about transitioning to the role of parents, how to find childcare and things to do with your baby
Run Time: 4 hours
Cons of The Baby Manual
This course is most geared for expecting, first time mothers or couples.
Breastfeeding: The Ultimate MRE by Birth Boot Camp Review
Who is Breastfeeding the Ultimate MRE for?
- Expecting mothers who want a strong foundation in breastfeeding
- Mothers of newborns that need a complete resource for breastfeeding that also includes information about pumping and returning to work
Breastfeeding the Ultimate MRE Details:
- Includes in depth foundations of how to be successful at breastfeeding
- Teaches how to properly latch and prevent nursing pain
- Includes stories and interviews with other breastfeeding mothers
- Has information about troubleshooting problems when breastfeeding isn’t going well
- Will prepare you for your return to work and teaching you how to pump and store breastmilk
Run Time: 3.5 hours
Milkology is a fabulous site created by Certified Lactation Educator, Stacey. Milkology offers two amazing classes on their platforms, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class and The Ultimate Back to Work and Pumping Class.
These classes cover all of the foundational knowledge you’ll need to feel more confident and supported in your breastfeeding journey. And if you’re a pumping mama? Remove the stress anxiety associated with every ounce and creating a freezer supply for your baby too.
Who is Milkology for?
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class is an ideal class for:
- The pregnant mama. This class is perfect to watch before baby arrives and consult after as well. Specifically, because of the What to Expect in the First Month chapter which has detailed info about how to get breastfeeding started off right after delivery.
- The mother of a baby that is 0-4 weeks’ old
The Ultimate Back to Work and Pumping Class is an ideal class for:
- Mothers who are planning a return to work and want support in creating a freezer stash, introducing a bottle to their breastfed baby, help with a pumping plan and storage while at work
- Mothers who need to exclusively pump for unique reasons
- Mothers who are intimidated by pumping, milk storage, or bottle feeding their breast fed baby in any capacity
Pros of Milkology
- Thorough information presented in a condensed and easy to follow video series
- Visuals where necessary, but also a lot of voice over which makes it easy to listen to and learn while working on other things or caring for your baby
- Emphasizes the importance of support and teaches you how and where to find support in your community, family and even from your partner
- Information on breastfeeding benefits, milk supply, latching and positioning, expression and storage, diaper output and weight, and finding support
- Specific chapters about what to expect and what it is really like to breastfeed a baby in months one and two of life
- Stacey emphasizes the way unnecessary supplementation can really undermine your breastfeeding success and ability to create an adequate supply. This is a societal pressure and norm that can be avoided for most mothers and Stacey explains why.
Runtime: ~2 hours
- Will relieve the common and encompassing feeling of anxiety associated with building a freezer supply and pumping enough breast milk for your baby while at work
- Teaches about when to introduce pumping and exactly how to build a freezer stash without disrupting the natural and important timeline needed to build a supply and exclusively breastfeed (i.e. pumping or introducing a bottle too soon)
- Teaches how to bottle feed a breastfed baby with the pace feeding method. This is so important to learn so that you don’t undermine your baby’s interest in the breast when you are together
- Educates about your legal rights as a pumping mother, how to succeed with pumping at work and how to make a plan with your employer
Run Time: ~1 hour
Cons of Milkology
Other than a print-out with suggestions, there isn’t a lot of information on troubleshooting specific issues such as: mastitis, thrush, low milk supply, oversupply, cracked nipples etc. If you are facing these challenges now, it is probably best to see a lactation consultant in person.
Learn more about Milkology.
Simply Breastfeeding Review
Simply Breastfeeding is an online breastfeeding class taught by Cindy and Jana, both RNs and IBCLCs. Cindy and Jana have a created a comprehensive breastfeeding class designed for pregnant women. Simply Breastfeeding is the perfect prenatal breastfeeding education class.
Who is Simply Breastfeeding for?
- Pregnant Mamas. Simply Breastfeeding states, “These videos are designed with prenatal mothers in mind.”
- Upon review, I think the class would be applicable to the mama of a newborn in need of a comprehensive and complete resource as well.
Pros of Simply Breastfeeding
- In depth information about how to get breastfeeding started off well, from the moment baby is born. You will learn the best practices for birth and delivery and how to spend your first few days in the hospital focusing on breastfeeding success.
- Teaches latch and breastfeeding positions extensively, which are often the most difficult concepts to learn and master with your newborn
- Explains and teaches your partner’s role in helping you succeed at breastfeeding
- Discusses the downfalls of having too many visitors around when you should be focusing on breastfeeding
- Demonstrations are done by actual breastfeeding mothers
- Includes text notes of each lesson and links to additional articles and resources
Run Time: 1.5 hours
Cons of Simply Breastfeeding
The class does not address specific breastfeeding problems, but instead educates you on where to turn for help. The class aims to give you knowledge that will hopefully prevent issues from arising.
Learn more about Simply Breastfeeding.
Milk Sprout Review
Milk Sprout offers excellent online breastfeeding classes and resources taught by, Sarah RN, ILBC. Sarah is a practicing lactation consultant that wanted to make her know-how and expertise accessible world-wide, so she created two online classes: Milk Sprout Breastfeeding Basics and Milk Sprout Pumping and Storing Breastmilk. She also offers these courses in a bundle so that you’ll be covered from birth to your returns to work.
Who Is Milk Sprout For?
- A mama looking for comprehensive prenatal breastfeeding education so that she can start breastfeeding off on the right foot
- A brand new mama looking for a resource that’s easy to follow along and provides a timeline of what to expect
- Any mama feeling overwhelmed by pumping and storing
- Mothers planning their return to work
Pros of Milk Sprout
- If you are enrolling in this class while pregnant, you will love learning exactly what to expect in terms of the timeline associated with breastfeeding for the first 2-3 days
- Learn importance and benefits of Kangaroo Care (skin-to-skin)
- Know exactly how to identify the early signs of hunger instead of when baby is in the late hunger stages and difficult to latch
- Gain confidence in creating the perfect latch, breastfeeding positioning and hand expression
- The class is done in a “podcast” style, which makes it easy to listen to on the to go or when you are attending to other things. You can always go back and consult the class notes and slides afterwards.
- Learn all of the details related to pumping
- Find out when to start pumping, and get information about exclusive pumping
- Increase the amount of milk you are pumping
- Create a plan for your return to work
*Note that you can purchase both class in the Milk Sprout Class Bundle*
Cons of Milk Sprout
This class was created in a voice-over, “podcast” style format. This may be perceived as a pro for some who want to listen on the go, but a con for others who were hoping for a documentary/video style format.
Learn more about Milk Sprout.
The Mama Natural Birth Course with Breastfeeding Master Class Review
Genevieve aka Mama Natural, has created the gold standard online childbirth class if you want to have a natural birth. But what you may not know? The Mama Natural Birth Course includes the Breastfeeding Master Class with your purchase! This engaging and informative 90-minute class will ensure breastfeeding success and is taught by an IBCLC.
So if you are looking to get the most bang for your buck, why not invest in an amazing online childbirth class and online breastfeeding class at the same time? The Mama Natural Birth Course and Breastfeeding Master Class knocks it out of the park. You can read my complete review of the Mama Natural Birth Course for more information.
Who is the Mama Natural Birth Course with Breastfeeding Master Class for?
- Expectant mamas who want their best chance at a natural birth AND all of the information they need to thrive in their breastfeeding journeys
- Pregnant mamas who want to invest in both an online childbirth class and online breastfeeding class
Pros of The Mama Natural Birth Course with Breastfeeding Master Class
- You will make an investment in the best online childbirth class available for a natural birth and excellent breastfeeding resource.
- Teaches you all of the breastfeeding foundations and knowledge you need
- Discusses the way that your breastfeeding “support” in the hospital might actually undermine your efforts to exclusively breastfeed and exactly why
- Talks in detail about supply issues, how to identify them and how to boost your supply
- Information about pumping and storing breastmilk and how you will eventually wean your little one
- A free weekly email series tailored to your due date allows you to get to know the instructor before purchasing.
Run Time: 12-hour birth course + 90 min breastfeeding class
Price: $264 or three payments of $98
Cons of The Mama Natural Birth Course with Breastfeeding Master Class:
If you are not interested in a childbirth class in addition to an online breastfeeding class, then this is not the choice for you. If you are not interested in a natural birth, then this is not the right class for you.
Learn more about the Mama Natural Birth Course with Breastfeeding Master Class.
Which Online Breastfeeding Class is Right for Me?
I’m pregnant and want to learn as much as I can about breastfeeding now, and have a resource waiting after baby arrives
I’m pregnant and want a resource that will educate me about breastfeeding AND other topics like childbirth or what to expect from life with a newborn.
The Mama Natural Birth Course is the class for you if you want an excellent breastfeeding class that will also prepare you for a natural birth.
The Baby Manual Complete Guide will prepare you for breastfeeding with ease and covers in depth all you need to know about caring for your baby in the first 6 months.
Birth Boot Camp offers a few options that might fit the bill, the Comprehensive Childbirth Class teaches about birth, parenting a newborn, and breastfeeding. Their Homecoming: Life with a New Recruit class teaches about breastfeeding and parenting a newborn.
I just had my baby and want a way to gain breastfeeding confidence and know-how from home
For the new mama I specifically recommend Lactation Link’s 3 Course Bundle, Breastfeeding: The Ultimate MRE, or The Baby Manual on Breastfeeding. These options will teach you foundational knowledge AND about pumping and storing.
I’ve encountered obstacles and am struggling with breastfeeding. I need a resource that will help me pull through
Lactation Link Breastfeeding Hurdles and How-tos is the best online breastfeeding class for your situation. Consider investing in their 3 Course Package to ensure you truly understand breastfeeding basics as well.
I’m a mama who’s preparing to head back to work and need help navigating pumping
Lactation Link Pumping and Storing Breastmilk or Milkology: The Ultimate Back to Work Pumping Class are the classes you need.
Alright, mama! There you have it. The BEST in online breastfeeding classes available for you. Figure out exactly what you’re looking for in an online breastfeeding class and use these reviews to choose the one that’s perfect for you.
This is an invaluable investment in your breastfeeding relationship and ability to thrive as a breastfeeding mother. It’s hard at first, but with a breastfeeding class and the proper support, you will rock this.
Have any specific questions or information to add on the topic of online breastfeeding classes? Feel free to chime in below! We love to hear from our readers <3
If you this post helpful, please share it on Facebook or Pinterest
Alli Wittbold is a wife, mama, blogger, and online teacher. She feels passionate about connecting expectant mothers with childbirth class educators, and supporting them to achieve the birth they desire. After having her first baby delivered by a Certified Nurse Midwife, Alli is an advocate for midwifery prenatal care. She has learned so much about labor and delivery by attending and reviewing dozens of birth classes to help mothers learn and explore options. Alli co-authored the Week-by-Week Bump Smart Course, the Nesting Planner and the Breastfeeding Handbook, resources she is proud to share with as many expectant and new mothers as possible. Read more about Alli.