Did you just welcome a baby into your life? First: Congratulations! Next, though, we have little doubt that there has never been a more exciting or nerve-wracking time in your life. As you're working tirelessly to provide for your new bundle of joy, you must also look for the best products around to help you accomplish that mission. One important product new parents often seek is a high-quality, safe and health-promoting mattress for the baby's crib. If you're looking for that perfect, cozy, crib mattress, this rundown will provide the information you need.
Below we've put together a list comparing many of the top-selling crib mattresses available on today's market. Don't worry too much about your budget at this point because we've included a wide range of options. Keep reading to get educated on this topic and ultimately pick out a mattress that will keep your baby safe and (well, eventually) sleeping peacefully through the night.
SHOPPING FOR A CRIB MATTRESS: A BRIEF FAQ
We know that, given the sheer number of choices on the market, buying decisions can easily get confusing. Here is a list of frequently asked questions about mattresses for your baby to help you get started on your quest.
1. Why Do I Need A Specially Designed Crib Mattress?
A mattress made specifically for babies is often essential for keeping your baby comfortable and safe at night. People have understandable concerns about thick, "non-breathable" fabrics and the risks they pose. Many crib mattresses are designed specifically to provide the best sleeping surface for an infant and alleviate these concerns.
2. How Will I Know Which Mattress Is Right For Our Needs?
If you're not sure where to start when shopping for a mattress for your little one, we recommend starting by determining the size you need. Crib dimensions and design elements vary, and this is especially true when you have a crib that has been passed down through generations. After you have the size you need clearly defined, you can move on to evaluating different fabrics and features.
3. Is A Dual-Sided Mattress Important?
As you start shopping and sorting through your options, you may see the term dual-sided come up. Generally speaking, this means that the opposing sides of the mattress have different firmness levels. When you see a dual-sided mattress, this typically means that it is intended to transition into a mattress for a toddler's bed later on.
Purchasing a dual-sided crib mattress may save you the money you would have spent later on a toddler mattress. Mattresses are made to last a few years, at a minimum, depending on their quality, so having one you can use for future children, or even future generations, never hurts. Just make sure you select a toddler bed that can accommodate this mattress size later on.
4. What Features Are Most Important?
When you're picking out a mattress for your child, there are some important features you'll want to keep in mind. First and foremost is the comfort. You want your child to sleep through the night for their comfort and your well-being, too. However, comfort mean, necessarily or exclusively, that the material is soft. Instead, we are primarily talking about how cool it keeps your child during warm months, how warm it helps keep them on cold nights, and other factors.
Another thing to keep in mind is hypoallergenic options. If your child suffers from allergies, or you suspect that he or she might, it's very easy to find hypoallergenic options. The same goes for different fabric types, organic options, and more. As long as you're focusing on your child's safety and comfort, you will have a wide range of mattresses from which to choose.
HOW WE REVIEWED
We selected the products on the list below based on clearly defined criteria. Not only did we want to include some of the most popular mattresses on the market, but we wanted to be sure to include mattresses at a wide range of prices to fit a variety of budgets. Materials, safety, warranty, and comfort also played key roles in our selection and evaluation processes.
You will also notice that each product has a pros and cons list. These quick summaries can help ensure you see the most balanced, useful snapshot of each product. In select cases, we chose to feature brief quotes from reviewers to give you an even fuller picture.
OVERALL PRICE RANGE
Mattresses designed for babies and children range widely in price, just as adult mattresses do. In this category, you may see prices from $20 all the way up to $500 and above. Not all variations signal meaningful differences in quality, comfort, or safety, however, so keep in mind that a higher price doesn't always equate to greater value. Make sure to always do your research and read some reliable reviews before investing.
WHAT WE REVIEWED
SAFETY 1ST TRANSITIONS BABY AND TODDLER MATTRESS
- Safety 1st has received the 2019 Women’s Choice Award as an America’s Most Recommended brand for Crib & Toddler...
- Made with a high-density thermo-bonded core made from polyester fibers. Lightweight and durable. Outer non-removable...
- Dual-purpose mattress comes with 2 different firmness levels to grow with your child: extra firm support for infants,...
This Safety 1st Transitions mattress feature a "thermo-bonded core" and water-resistant materials. Offering different firmness levels on its two sides, this product allows you to transition this crib mattress for a baby to a toddler without breaking the bank. Parents that love this product love the high-density material and premium comfort.
This product is known for its comfort. For something so affordable it's one of the products that don't have to question how comfortable it is. Just read what this happy customer had to say “Very much worth the money! We were cheap for the first kid and that mattress did not even last 2 years. It ripped and is saggy. THIS mattress however rocks! It's thick, sturdy, quiet and unbendable.”
SEALY NATURE COUTURE COTTON BLISS CRIB MATTRESS
- HIGH COIL COUNT -- Durability tested 204 innerspring steel coil system, thick steel border wire around the perimeter...
- 2 STAGE INFANT & TODDLER DESIGN – Firmer infant side features hypoallergenic support layers and an anti-sag steel...
- COTTON BLEND COVER WITH WATERPROOF BARRIER – Durable woven cotton blend fabric cover is soft and breathable on...
The Sealy Nature Couture Cotton Bliss Mattress for babies features no plastic and only organic cotton fibers. What parents love about the Sealy Nature Couture Cotton Bliss Crib Mattress is the waterproof casing and allergy barrier. This is also one of those great options that work for both babies and toddlers by simply switching the sides.
Not only is this mattress cover breathable but it helps to keep your precious little one cool and comfortable. Just hear what this Amazon.com customer had to say about the products overall comfort “Very comfortable for our infant. Baby number 3 is the first to sleep well in the crib. I think having a nice mattress is playing a role. It has a cloth exterior, not plastic which makes it more breathable/cool.”
NATUREPEDIC NO COMPROMISE ORGANIC COTTON 150 COIL CRIB MATTRESS
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Organic cotton fabric and filling. Certified by GOTS & GREENGUARD for non-toxic sleep. Safe for...
- BREATHABLE: 3D mesh surface allows baby to breathe while face down. Luxurious quilted surface layer can be removed and...
- WATERPROOF CORE: Can be used as a standalone crib mattress when cover is in the wash. Wipe-clean waterproof surface and...
The NaturePedic No Compromise Organic Cotton 150 Coil Crib Mattress is made of 100% organic cotton. Naturepedic is proud to make its product in the United States and boast allergy-friendly designs. The best part about this product is the lifetime, limited, warranty.
What's great about this product is that it's safe and comfortable. Allergy-friendly designs and being free of harsh chemicals makes this product a perfect aid in a peaceful night's sleep. Just read what this satisfied customer had to say about the comfort “We bought this mattress for our son and are very pleased with it. We were looking for an organic, cotton mattress to fit the standard size crib we had and this one was just right. I love that the mattress has a waterproof surface so there's no need for a mattress protector.”
DREAM ON ME PREMIUM COIL CRIB MATTRESS
- Mattress is proudly constructed of quality materials and workmanship in the USA
- Mattress Meets Federal Standard Flammability Standard 16-CFR 1633. All Dream on Me mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold...
- Protective polyurethane foam wrap on each side
The Dream On Me Premium Coil Mattress for babies is an affordable choice for first-time parents. Not only will this mattress work for your newborn but it's a great option that can transition to a toddler bed as well. Customers who love this product love the quality materials and workmanship.
The Dream On Me Premium is a comfortable choice for both babies and toddlers. Anngelica J. from Amazon.com agrees in her review: “This is a wonderful mattress...It's quiet and fits any standard size crib. Depending on the brand of fitted crib sheets, they may be a little bit too small. Other than that, your child will love it.”
Colgate EcoSpring Ultra II CRIB MATTRESS
- Fits all standard American crib sizes
- All-natural, organic cotton cover, with renewable coir fiber insulator pad
- Extra firmness and durability with extra thick coils and border rods. Naturally fire resistant. Hypoallergenic and...
The Colgate EcoSpring Ultra II Crib Mattress is an adorable choice and one of the few mattresses that comes with a fun print. This is a supportive and comfortable choice for both babies and toddlers. You'll also be happy to note that this product was made in the United States.
This product is comfortable for both babies and toddlers alike. Not only is it supportive but it's thick meaning you can forget the box spring. What parents love about this mattress is the easy ventilation that ensures their baby a comfortable and sweat-free sleep.
SEALY SOYBEAN SERENITY CRIB MATTRESS
- HIGH-DENSITY SOYBEAN FOAM-CORE -- Lightweight durable and CertiPur-US Certified soybean foam-core uses a percentage of...
- WATERPROOF SURFACE & BINDING -- Exclusive Crypton Clean Sleep technology enhanced surface providing a plastic-free...
- PREMIER COMFORT -- High-density foam is CertiPUR-US certified for durability air quality and chemical content Strong...
The Sealy Soybean Serenity Crib Mattress is a dusty pink choice ideal for almost any budget. What parents love about this mattress is the fact that it is extra thick and extra firm. This is so firm, in fact, that is can transition to a toddler bed.
What this mattress excels at are comfort and safety. You can rest easy knowing your child is too. Just hear what this happy Amazon.com customer had to say “I am very pleased with the purchase if this mattress. My one concern was if it would be firm enough and it absolutely is. And I can feel good knowing my baby is sleeping on an organic chemical free mattress.”
MOONLIGHT SLUMBER LITTLE DREAMER CRIB MATTRESS
- Vinyl, polyethylene and PVC free, phthalates and lead free, non-toxic waterproof, durable nylon cove
- Extra firm high density foam infant side, firm high density foam toddler side, foam with CertiPUR certification
- Side stitched seams, waterproof, hypoallergenic
The Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Crib Mattress is a waterproof, hypoallergenic, and antimicrobial favorite among parents. What people love about this mattress is the fact that it's extra firm yet lightweight. You find both a baby and a toddler side on the mattress.
Nothing says comfort of peace of mind more than safety. This mattress is both comfortable and safe. Just hear what this Amazon buyer had to say about the mattress “I have an Moonlight Slumber dual firmness mattress I purchased from a boutique store three years ago. We absolutely love it and our toddler still uses it. We love that it is safe for infants, and it has lasted three years so far with no rips, tears, or sagging. “
COLGATE ECO CLASSICA III CRIB MATTRESS
- 2- STAGE DUAL-FIRMNESS FOR INFANTS & TODDLERS - The extra firm side is engineered to provide the firmness infants need...
- COMFORTABLE: With an ultra-soft waterproof cover, the eco-friendly crib and toddler mattress is wrapped snugly inside an...
- SAFE: The Eco Classica III is GREENGUARD Gold, and CertiPUR-US certified, CPSIA compliant, and compliant with all...
The Colgate Eco Classica III features an organic cotton cover and dual-sided firmness. That means that this product is perfect for infants and toddlers alike. You will love the hypoallergenic materials and firm support from the Colgate Eco Classica III.
Not only is this mattress comfortable but it's safe. Featuring two sides, with different levels of firmness, this product is a cozy choice. Read what this Amazon.com reviewer had to say on the mattresses comfort “My little one is only 2 months but so far so good. Slept 7 hours straight last night, maybe not directly related to the mattress but it doesn't hurt! I'm happy to know she is sleeping on a safe, comfortable mattress that isn't giving off fumes.”
NOOK PEBBLE CRIB MATTRESS
- Made for mini cribs - Pictured in the Babyletto Origami Mini Crib.
- Core materials: Coconut coir, organic wool.
- Cover materials: Eucalyptus, organic cotton, zinc, easy-close nylon zipper.
The Nook Pebble Crib Mattress is a premium option offering all organic materials and breathable top layer. What's unique about this mattress is the natural coconut husk and latex materials. We can't help but love the vibrant color options as well!
What's great about this mattress is that it looks great and it's actually comfortable. Not only will your baby be cozy but they'll be safe with this product. Just read what Emily, one of Amazon.com's top reviewers, had to say about the mattress “This mattress is wonderful - firm and you can feel the quality at every inch. the cover is nicely removable... I tried to breathe through it as you are supposed to be able to, and amazingly I could.”
LULLABY EARTH BABY CRIB MATTRESS
- 🍃"BREATHE THRU" SURFACE - 3D mesh surface allows baby to breathe after rolling over face down, reducing suffocation...
- 🍃BUILT-IN PROTECTOR PAD - Breathable surface can be removed and washed. Waterproof backing protects mattress core...
- 🍃WATERPROOF MATTRESS CORE - Can be used as a standalone crib mattress when cover is in the wash.
The Lullaby Earth Baby is a wonderful mattress that is 100% breathable and proven to reduce the risk of suffocation. What parent doesn't want that? What's more, is this product had a removable and washable protector that's built in.
This product is extremely comfortable and safe for both toddlers and infants alike. Parents are pleased with the overall comfort. Hear what JoeRodge had to say on Amazon.com about the mattress “The mattress and cover combo was exactly what I was looking at. I couldn't be happier. My son sleeps soundly throughout the night.”
Not only is the Colgate Eco Classica III on the more affordable size but it has soft rounded corners and great overall firmness. Trust us when we say you will love the fact that it is hypoallergenic, eco-friendly, and super supportive.