A good quality umbrella stroller can be the difference between a relaxing walk with the family and a high stress forced march that leaves everyone miserable. With luck, a comfortable stroller will provide the kind of soothing environment that gently rocks your child to sleep. An umbrella stroller further adds to the child’s comfort by providing some protection from the sun and elements. Strollers are a critical tool to make parenting easier. In this article, we will examine several umbrella strollers and help you choose the perfect stroller for your family.
Image from Pexels
A stroller might seem like a pretty basic piece of equipment. However, consumers are often surprised by the wide assortment of strollers that are available. It’s important not to rush out and purchase the first stroller you see without properly evaluating your stroller needs.
1. What Is An Umbrella Stroller?
An umbrella stroller is a stroller with some kind of sunshade that helps provide your child with some amount of protection from the sun and the elements. Many strollers have storage space, so you can go out on family walks and not be burdened with heavy bags or other encumberments.
2. Does An Umbrella Stroller Protect Against Sunburn?
An umbrella stroller does offer some protection from direct sunlight. However, a child’s skin is very sensitive, and it is highly recommended that the parent not rely solely on the umbrella canopy to provide protection. Many of the umbrellas featured on umbrella strollers are very small and do not completely block out sunlight which can result in painful burns.
3. Can I Bring My Stroller On An Airplane?
Some umbrella strollers are designed to be compact enough to fold up and bring on board an airplane. Remember that strollers that are designed to be compact and light, tend to sacrifice some stability and size.
4. How Often Should I Clean My Stroller?
Children tend to be messy eaters, and occasionally diapers spring a leak. It’s important to check your stroller regularly and clean it often. Most strollers are designed to be easy to clean with soapy water or with antiseptic wipes. Some strollers even have segments that can be removed for machine washing.
5. What Are The Key Safety Features Of A Stroller?
It’s important to get a stroller with a good harness so that your child does not accidentally fall out of the stroller. Also, it’s important to make sure a stroller is stable and not prone to tipping. A good wide wheelbase ensures that your stroller will stay upright and that your child will remain secure. Lastly, make sure to obey the weight recommendation of your stroller. Do not ever exceed a stroller’s recommended weight capacity.
How We Reviewed
We evaluated the strollers in our list based on safety features, umbrella canopy, size, and price. We also provided a list of pros and cons to consider with each stroller. Some strollers were designed to be very lightweight and compact for travel, while others are designed to maximize comfort and stability. We paid special attention to the safety harness which helps ensure that your child will not accidentally fall out the side of the stroller or slip down the front.
When it comes time to select your own stroller it’s important to keep in mind the context of the stroller’s design purpose. Picking the best stroller within its class does no service to a parent if that stroller is not in the class of needs that the parent requires. This is especially important to consider in the circumstance where you are purchasing the stroller as a gift. Parents can have very strong opinions about the strollers that they prefer, and it’s best to have a strong understanding of these purposes before any purchase is made.
Overall Price Range
The price range of the strollers we tested fell between 35 and 300 dollars with the majority of the strollers available for around 200. The features that were available on the higher-priced strollers included more recline positions, better safety features, and more comfortable harness systems. Some travel strollers were designed to be very lightweight and compact which resulted in additional cost.
What We Reviewed
POCKIT LIGHTWEIGHT STROLLER
- WORLD’S SMALLEST FOLDING STROLLER - With its innovative two-step folding design, the Pockit is the 2014 Guiness World...
- SMALL BUT STRONG - Built using high quality, durable materials, the Pockit can hold a child from 6 months up to 55...
- PERFECT FOR DAY TRIPS OR EXTENDED TRAVEL - For families with a passion for local or overseas travel and exploring,...
Portability is a very nice feature in an umbrella stroller and the Pockit Lightweight Stroller folds down to a small enough size that it could fit into a piece of luggage. Weighing just under 10 pounds, the Pockit is a great option for families on the go. This stroller can hold a child of up to 55 pounds and has room for an additional 11 pounds of extra items. The harness is secure with ample padding to ensure your child will be safe and comfortable. The umbrella at the top of the stroller is minimal but will provide adequate shade in most circumstances.
- Very small and portable
- Good harness with comfortable padding
- Small umbrella canopy
- Larger children might feel cramped in the stroller
- The folding feature makes the stroller less stable
BESREY AIRPLANE STROLLER ONE STEP DESIGN FOR OPENING
- 🚼SIT AND SLEEP: Updated reclinable backrest for baby and toddler, bring extra comfort and convenience
- 🚼MINI SIZE COMPACT BUGGY: Rather compact size for airplane stroller, for traveling,
- 🚼25.2*11.8*10.6 inch (64*30*27cm ) weight in 12.98Lbs/5.9KGS
The Besrey Airplane Stroller folds down to approximately the size of a piece of carry-on luggage. The Besrey features a three-segment canopy umbrella that offers superior shading for your child. The overall weight of the stroller is just under 11 pounds making this a very compact and lightweight stroller. The stroller features a comfortable safety harness as well as an armbar that goes in front of the child ensuring he or she will not be able to fall out.
- Superior three-segment canopy
- Contains a storage back
- Compact and lightweight
- The harness could use some more padding
- Less stable than strollers that do not fold
- Children might feel the stroller is too compact for full comfort
UPPABABY G-LUXE STROLLER
- For children 3months (in full recline position) to 55lbs.
- 5-point harness, 3 recline positions 1-handed, actuated recline and adjustable footrest
- Lightweight aluminum frame, 1-step brake, lockable front wheels for added stability
This is a large, stable stroller featuring a five-point harness with a nice, canopy style umbrella. The stroller can accommodate children from 3 months of age up to children weighing up to 55 pounds. The wheel supports extend all the way to the handle giving this stroller exceptional control and stability. The stroller also features 3 recline positions, a footrest, and a one-step brake. The stroller also folds to reduce the space necessary for storage but does not fold small enough to be used as a carry-on. The weight of this stroller is 15 pounds.
- Large stroller
- Sturdy design
- Good canopy umbrella
- Available in three color options
- Minimal padding on the straps
- Can’t be folded to carry on size
CHICCO LITEWAY STROLLER, FOG
- 4-position backrest easily adjusts with one hand for growing children
- Adjustable, removable canopy with peek-a-boo window. Rear Wheel Diameter is 7"
- The Liteway stroller holds children up to 40lbs only. Any child larger than 40lbs will have trouble fitting in the...
The Chicco Liteway Stroller is a lightweight item designed to hold children up to 40 pounds only. Children above 40 pounds will find the stroller very cramped. The stroller features a nice umbrella that has an arching canopy. The structural arms extend from the handles all the way to the wheels ensuring stability and control. The stroller is available in three color options. The stroller weighs under 19 pounds and can fold down to a very compact size.
- The design offers control and stability
- Good umbrella canopy
- Features a comfortable padded harness
- Economically priced
- Will not accommodate children larger than 40 pounds
- The stroller is somewhat heavy
- Folding can be difficult
- Appropiate from Newborn Up to 55 lbs, 4-Position Recline Seat with One-Hand Adjustment, Compatible with Universal...
- Extendable Leg Rest with Memory Position, Extendable UPF 50+ sun canopy and built-in sun visor
- Foot-operated linked parking brakes, Lockable front swivel wheels, Ultralight flat-free EVA tires
The Quest Denim is a 12.7-pound stroller that can accommodate children up to 55 pounds. This stroller has a larger than average canopy that extends out over the child. The stroller features a for position recline seat, but the padding on the five-point safety harness is limited. The canopy features a viewing window for the parents which may also allow sunlight in on the child.
- Large canopy umbrella
- Viewing window
- Four positions of seat recline
- Rain canopy feature to cover the child completely
- Viewing window might allow in sunlight
ERGOBABY STROLLER, TRAVEL SYSTEM READY
- REVERSIBLE, ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBAR: Baby can face the world or you with the flip of the handlebar. Handlebar adjusts...
- ONE HAND FOLD AND LIGHTWEIGHT - A full featured stroller weighing under 20 lbs. You can hold your baby in one arm & fold...
- X-LARGE STORAGE BASKET - Big storage basket can fit large diaper bags and your Ergobaby carrier. Seat depth is 11 inches
The Ergobaby stroller has a handle that can flip completely over the umbrella canopy. This allows the parent the option of pushing the baby in a forward-facing or rear-facing position. The rear-facing position is nice for when the baby is asleep and the parent would like to keep an eye on him or her. This stroller has a wide wheelbase for good stability and comes with very large wheels for easy movement.
- Forward or rearward facing option
- Very good canopy
- Large storage basket beneath the baby seat
- Not very compact when folded
SUMMER INFANT 3DFLIP CONVENIENCE STROLLER
- REVERSIBLE SEAT DESIGN – Change the way you look at umbrella strollers! The Summer 3Dflip Convenience Stroller has a...
- LIGHTWEIGHT - A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dflip Baby Stroller has a durable,...
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running everyday errands, having a lightweight,...
This stroller features a reversible umbrella canopy that allows you to flip it down in front of the baby. This is a good feature because it allows for lots of shade even when the sun is not directly overhead. The harness system offers a lot of padding to ensure the child’s comfort. The stroller features a variety of recline positions.
- Adjustable umbrella
- Multiple recline positions
- Stroller is heavy
- The stroller does not fold down to a very compact size
GB POCKIT PLUS 2018 LAGUNA BLUE
- Collapsible & Compact Design: This travel stroller’s ultra-compact and collapsible design ensures it will fit in most...
- Lightweight Convenience: This must-have umbrella stroller weighs a mere 9 ½ pounds and makes one-handed pushing and...
- Durable and Flexible Construction: Durable for everyday use as well as travel the Pockit+ is designed to roll with the...
This stroller comes in three very attractive and stylish colors. It folds down to an extremely compact size and weighs in at just 12.3 pounds. The canopy isn’t exceptionally large, but the harness has a lot of comfortable padding. The wheels go together in a triangular support structure that meets below the sitting position of the baby which may result in less stability than other stroller designs.
- Folds to a small size
- Good harness padding
- Potentially unstable
- The double folding design introduces areas where fingers might be pinched
JOOVY ZOOM 360 ULTRALIGHT JOGGING STROLLER
- Extra wide seat sits high to give child great visibility, multi-position seat recline
- Includes parent organizer, running leash, and tire pump
- Quick release 16" rear wheels and 12.5" swivel front wheel that locks straight
This jogging stroller features very large wheels that will ensure a comfortable ride going over virtually any terrain. The seat is extra wide and sits high to afford your child a tremendous view. The canopy is large and may be retracted. The stroller weighs in at under 26 pounds and folds but is too large to be taken onto an airplane as a carry-on.
- Smooth ride
- High seat for good visibility
- Folds for convenient storage
- The safety straps need more padding
GRACO JETSETTER UMBRELLA STROLLER
- One-hand, ultra-compact fold is convenient and fast for days on-the-go. The stroller depth is 33.5 inches and the...
- Compatible with any Graco Click Connect Infant Car Seat
- Ultra-lightweight stroller weighs less than 14 lb. Stroller Width-20.38 inch. Stroller Height-41.75 inch
Dual wheels and a frame design that connects all four wheels to the handle makes this a solid, traditionally designed umbrella stroller. The stroller also features a bar across the front that keeps the child in place and serves as an armrest. The safety straps are well-padded and comfortable, and there is a compartment beneath the seating area for storage. The stroller folds for easy storage.
- Comfortable safety straps
- Designed to be stable
- Fewer recline positions than other strollers tested
- Wheels subject to jamming on some surfaces
BABY TREND ROCKET LIGHTWEIGHT STROLLER
- Comfort-grip Handle and parent organizer tray
- Dual foot activated parking brake and a parent organizer with 2 cup holders
- Large canopy and basket; Baby trend rocket stroller will accommodate your growing child up to 50 pounds
This is a very inexpensive, lightweight stroller that gets the job done at a fraction of the cost of its competitors. The harness straps lack padding, and the seating area is a sling-style seating with little support. The stroller folds in half but is not very compact when folded. The item weight is just over 13 pounds.
- Folds for storage
- Five-point safety harness
- Not enough padding on the harness
- Limited umbrella canopy
- Not very compact when folded
DISNEY BABY WINNIE-THE-POOH UMBRELLA STROLLER
- Featuring a fun, winnie the pooh disney baby theme, this stroller will keep parents and kids grinning from ear to ear
- The stroller features a simple umbrella fold that's compact and stores easily in a closet or car
- Keep your child cool and out of the sun on walks with the stroller's Canopy
By far the most minimalistic stroller that we tested. This stroller only features a single safety belt that lacks padding for comfort. The umbrella is minimal and there is no storage compartment to bring additional items. The stroller folds, but the folded shape is not very compact. This is a very minimal stroller that would be an ideal choice for travel.
- Minimal design
- Winnie-the-Pooh print
- Minimal safety harness
- Small umbrella canopy
- Limited to children who weigh less than 40 pounds
Image from Pexels
A good travel stroller is a great accessory to help you get the most possible enjoyment out of taking a walk with your family. A good stroller ensures the safety of your child while protecting them from the elements. Most of the strollers we tested have a folding feature, several recline seating positions, and a good umbrella to provide your child with shade.
It’s important to distinguish whether you’d best be served by purchasing a travel stroller that can fold up into a very compact shape, or whether you prefer a large, deluxe stroller that you can store in your garage. If your child is very large, strong, and active, a lightweight travel stroller might not adequately fill your needs. The travel strollers tend to be compact, and if a child is uncomfortable, he or she will become fussy while riding in the stroller.
A jogging stroller is a great option for active people, but the added size and expense of a jogging stroller mean you should probably select something different unless you plan to use the stroller for run training. We found that the best strollers were stable and easy to control, had very comfortable safety harnesses, and offered a large and effective sun canopy. Extra points were awarded for strollers with convenient storage spaces that were also easy to clean.
Our pick for the best general stroller was the Ergobaby Stroller with the 180-degree reversible handle that allows the parent to use forward or rear-facing seating. The harness was very comfortable and easy to use, and the shade canopy was among the best of all the strollers we tested. Our pick for the best travel stroller was the Besrey Airplane Stroller. The Besrey folded down to a convenient size, is competitively priced, and includes a nice storage bag.
We found that every stroller we tested had sufficient safety features, but we preferred the models with comfortable five-point harnesses and stable drive designs. Good strollers are available at economical prices, and spending more does not necessarily mean you end up with a superior stroller. By keeping in mind the specific needs of your baby and your family, you’ll be able to pick out the perfect umbrella stroller to suit your unique lifestyle.
Last update on 2021-01-17 at 09:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API