It can be challenging to choose the best changing pad for your baby, especially if you’re a first-time parent. You may not know what features to look for, or if you even need one at all.
There are so many different changing pads on the market today that it can be overwhelming trying to choose one for your baby. Do you want a portable one? Or do you want one with extra comfort that can attach to your baby’s dresser?
The possibilities are endless. But before choosing a brand for the best changing pad, it’s essential to know what to look for when purchasing one.
How to Choose the Best Changing Pad for Your Baby
How to Choose the Best Changing Pad for Your Baby
When choosing the best changing pad for your baby, it’s vital to know exactly what to look for.
What is a changing pad?
First, you may be wondering what a changing pad is and why you would need one. Why can’t you change your baby without one?
Well, for starters, a changing pad is a soft mat-like surface that you can place on a dresser, changing table, or any area, to change your baby securely and comfortably.
They are convenient to have, especially if you decide not to invest in a changing table. Many changing pads can secure to the top of a dresser so that you’ll have a secure, comfortable spot to change your baby in your home.
Additionally, it is critical to have a portable changing pad that you can use when you’re out in public. It’s crucial to have a clean surface when changing your baby in, say, a public restroom. You never know what kind of bacteria is on the changing table, so you’ll want to have your own changing pad to lay down.
Also, changing pads can be a courtesy item when at other people’s homes. When visiting family and friends, they will appreciate it if you lay down a changing mat before changing your baby’s diaper. This is also an extra sanitary measure for you, especially if they have pets.
Overall, changing pads are a safe and comfortable way to change your baby’s diaper.
Features to look for in the best changing pad
There are generally five key features that you should search for in a changing pad. These include:
- Waterproof protection: Can easily be wiped clean
- Contoured design: Provides ultimate comfort
- Baby’s comfort: Search for supportive foam
- Safety straps: Buckle restraints to secure baby, and straps to attach to dresser or wall
- Certifications: Like American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards and GREENGUARD GOLD Certified
How We Reviewed
To review the best changing pad options, we only chose changing pads that received a rating of 4.0 stars or better on Amazon from customers. A changing pad can have all the right qualities, but if customers aren’t a fan of it, then it’s no good. We also looked at some professional reviews.
We also made sure that each changing pad option had at least three of the key features that we mentioned previously. You won’t find a changing pad on our list that doesn’t meet at least three of them.
Finally, we made sure to include a variety of changing pad options, from portable to smartphone-compatible to ones that grow with your baby. Everyone has different preferences, and we made sure to take note of that when choosing the best options for you and your baby.
Best Changing Pad Options: Top 10 Choices
Here are our top options for the best changing pad, in no particular order. These feature both portable and non-portable options, giving you choices for your home and when you’re on the go.
1. Summer Basic Changing Essentials Kit
- 2-in-1 convertible design allows changing pad to easily become changing mat
- Waterproof top resists stains and non-skid bottom prevents slipping
- Sturdy 4-inch side walls to keep baby safe from rolling when using as a changing pad
This basic changing pad set from Summer comes with a contoured changing pad, an ultra-plush changing pad cover, and a waterproof changing pad liner. It gives everything you need for a safe and comfortable changing pad for your baby.
Both the changing pad cover and liner are machine washable, making them simple to clean. The waterproof liner is incredibly easy to wipe away any messes quickly, too.
As for the changing pad itself, it has contoured walls and a quick-release safety belt that will keep your baby comfortable and secure on the pad. It is 16 inches by 32 inches and will fit most standard changing pad tables.
Many consider the Summer changing pad to be the best changing pad for their baby, as thousands of Amazon reviewers have given it an average of 4.6 out of 5.0 stars.
2. L.A. Baby Contour Changing Pad
- L.A. Baby's contoured changing pad has two 4" high sides to keep baby safe and has an overall size of 30" x 16" x 4"
- Features a non-skid bottom that prevents pad from sliding while changing baby
- Quilted vinyl cover is waterproof, non-toxic, non-allergenic, is stain resistant and easy to keep clean with mild soap...
This Contour Changing Pad from L.A. Baby is a two-sided changing pad that features a non-skid bottom. This will keep the pad from sliding while you're using it.
This changing pad includes a security strap for attaching the pad to a changing table or dresser top. It also includes a safety harness for your baby with a quick-release buckle, making it safe for the baby.
The standard L.A. Baby changing pad is 30 inches by 16 inches by 4 inches. However, it also is available in 32-inch and 34-inch options.
This changing pad is dust mite proof, anti-microbial, and hypo-allergenic. It also meets U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Standards.
Additionally, the quilted vinyl cover is stain-resistant, waterproof, and non-toxic. It is simple to clean, using mild soap and water. Many customers love this changing pad from L.A. Baby, giving it 4.5 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
3. Keekaroo Peanut Changer
- Easy to Clean - Solid surface wipes down easily and limits bacteria growth
- Protective Layer - Surface allows for immediate cleaning
- Water Resistant - Fluids cannot penetrate into the pad, stopping mold or deterioration
If you’re willing to spend a little more on a unique changing pad, then the Keekaroo Peanut Changer may be the best changing pad option for your baby. This changing pad features a robust outer shell that is leak-proof to any liquid, making clean-up super simple. The outer shell also will limit bacteria growth and deterioration.
Although you may think that the outer shell would make it uncomfortable, it is soft to the touch and can even make for an excellent napping spot for your baby.
This changing pad from Keekaroo is test-certified from the ASTM. Its dimensions are 32 inches by 17 inches. Many users love this changing pad, as it has 4.6 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
4. Skip Hop Pronto Baby Changing Station & Diaper Clutch
- Ultimate baby changing station makes baby diaper changes easy-no matter where you are
- Our ultra-convenient travel changing pad clutch features a wipe-clean, zip-off changing pad, built-in pillow and...
- The large mesh pocket of the baby changing station holds up to four diapers plus creams and other essentials, while the...
When searching for the best changing pad, many people look for something portable that they can easily take anywhere they go. This is especially useful to mommies and daddies who are constantly on the go.
This baby changing station from Skip Hop makes that possible. It includes a clutch with an easy wipe-clean and zip-off changing pad, a built-in pillow, and a clear case for baby wipes.
This changing station even features a large mesh pocket that can hold up to four diapers, along with other essentials. It has a front zippered pocket that’s perfect for your keys, cellphone, and other personal items. All you have to do is clip it to your stroller or pop it in your bag, and you’re ready to change your baby anywhere!
The dimensions of the changing pad are 21.5 inches by 21.5 inches. When closed, the changing station measures 8.7 inches by 1 inch by 11 inches.
This changing pad is well-loved, earning 4.8 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
5. Naturepedic No-Compromise Organic Cotton Changing Pad
- 100% organic cotton
- Wipe clean waterproof surface so pure it meets food contact standards
- Waterproof seams prevent moisture penetration and allow for easier cleaning
If you are looking for a natural option for your baby’s changing pad, then the Naturepedic organic cotton one may be the best changing pad for you. It features a luxurious organic cotton fabric, along with a clear polyethylene food-grade coating that is waterproof.
This changing pad is non-allergenic and is very simple to clean. It features a safety buckle that will help secure your baby while changing and snap screws to secure the pad to a dresser at home.
This Naturepedic changing pad is GREENGUARD GOLD Certified and features a non-toxic design. The organic cotton filling is pure and chemical-free. It comes in two-sided and four-sided options and measures 16.5 inches by 31.5 inches by 4 inches.
The Naturepedic cotton changing pad has a 4.4 out of 5.0-star rating on Amazon.
6. Munchkin Secure Grip Changing Pad
If you’re looking for the best changing pad to keep your baby in place while changing, then the Munchkin brand might be just what you’re looking for. Featuring Munchkin’s Secure Grip technology, it will keep your baby secure throughout the diaper changing process.
The pad has Xtra Grip rubber strips and safety straps that buckle, so both your baby and the changing pad will stay put. There are even fabric straps with screws included to attach to your dresser or changing table.
Additionally, the pad is a soft contoured cushion that will keep your baby extra comfortable. It is also waterproof, making it simple to clean.
This pad meets safety regulations and will fit most dressers and changing tables. It measures at 31.1 inches by 15.8 inches by 4.3 inches. The Munchkin changing pad has 4.5 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
7. Hatch Baby Grow Smart Changing Pad and Scale
- Second generation Smart Changing Pad. Materials - Foam upper
- Track your baby’s weight gain between doctor visits
- Measure how much your baby is drinking at every feeding (in ounces or grams)
This changing pad from Hatch is unique, as it includes a feature where you can track your baby’s progress from your phone. It consists of a “smart scale,” which records your baby’s weight and sends the results directly to an app on your smartphone. The app can also track how many diaper changes your baby goes through so that you can relay the information to your pediatrician.
As for the changing pad itself, many consider it to be the best changing pad because it features soft foam that keeps your baby cozy throughout diaper changes. People also love the app feature, as it’s a unique advantage among competitors.
The pad features a safety belt, is bacteria-resistant, and BPA free. The pad and app have earned various awards, including the 2016 GOLD Mom’s Choice Award.
It fits most changing tables, measuring at 29 inches by 16 inches by 3.5 inches. The changing pad has 4.0 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
8. PooPoose Contoured Diaper Changing Pad
- Secure, swaddle-like strap calms your baby while gently immobilizing him or her during diaper changes
- Soft, high-quality contoured foam comfortably cradles your baby in place. Washable and removable straps
- Cover wipes clean easily, soft and comfortable material means no additional cover necessary
The PooPoose changing pad has a soft and high-quality contoured foam that will cradle your baby in place, giving them ultimate comfort.
This changing pad features swaddle-like straps that keep your baby secure but also calms them during diaper changes. It also features a removable hook-and-loop strap that adjusts to fit babies from newborn to toddler stages.
The cover of the changing pad wipes clean easily. It also is made from non-toxic materials. It measures 32.0 inches by 3.5 inches by 16 inches.
Many consider this to be the best changing pad, earning it 4.4 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
9. MAMAN Portable Changing Pad Station
- POCKETS: front zipper pocket for personal items (keys, wallet, phone, etc.), mesh inside pocket (holds up to four large...
- USE: Use as a clutch or just drop into any bag. Adjustable strap allows you to strap it to your wrist or hook onto...
- WATERPROOF & PADDED: Change your baby comfortably, conveniently- and in style. Dirty? Just wipe it off. Material is...
The MAMAN changing pad is another option if you’re looking for the best changing pad to use on the go. It comes in fun color options but is still practical.
The changing station features a cushioned changing pad that is waterproof, making it easy to wipe clean. It also features pockets on the inside that can hold everything you’ll need for both you and your baby.
When you’re not using it, it easily folds up to a nice compact size. It also has an adjustable strap that can be worn around your wrist or clipped onto your stroller.
When closed, it measures to be 11 inches by 2 inches by 8 inches. It has a rating of 4.9 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
10. BABY LOOVI Baby Changing Mat
- ✅ FULLY PADDED FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT – This portable baby changing pad liners protects your little one from hard,...
- ✅ USE ANYWHERE – this changing mat can be folded into portable size and can be used on-the-go.
- ✅ NO SMELL - waterproof changing pad liners provides protection from leakage and is incredibly easy to clean – All...
And finally, we have the BABY LOOVI changing mat. This is another portable option that makes changing your baby’s diaper stress-free. It is lightweight and can be carried with you wherever you go, mainly because it folds down to a small size.
This changing mat allows for comfortable changing, whether that’s on the car seat or a solid table. It can even be used to wean your baby from diapers or to protect surfaces while your baby sleeps without a diaper.
Although the mat folds down to a small size, it is large when open, ultimately protecting the surface from leaks. When open, the changing mat is 31.5 inches by 25.5 inches. It folds down to be 7.9 inches by 5.9 inches by 1 inch.
This mat has quilted vinyl and thick padding, making it super comfortable for your baby. It is also effortless to clean. You just have to wipe it with warm water, soap, and a dry cloth.
The BABY LOOVI changing mat has 4.5 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon.
How to Attach a Changing Pad to Your Dresser
As stated before, many new parents choose not to invest in a changing table. This can help save a decent amount of money, and you can easily convert the top of a dresser to a diaper changing area. However, it can be sort of a struggle figuring out how to attach your changing pad to the dresser safely and securely.
Here are four different methods on attaching a changing pad to the top of a dresser.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE ADHESIVE FASTENERS: These industrial strength hook and loop fasteners provide strong holding power...
- WATER RESISTANCE PROVIDES UNMATCHED VERSATILITY: With heavy-duty strength, these fasteners make the ultimate...
- LONG LASTING DURABILITY: Easy stick-on application is ideal for a broad range of surfaces and applications; special...
Velcro is one easy method to attach a changing pad to a dresser. All you have to do is purchase large pieces of Velcro that have a sticky side. You just separate the pieces and stick one side to each of the four corners of the top of the dresser.
Then, you stick the other sides to the four corners of the changing pad. Simply line up the two sides so that the Velcro is aligned, and there you go! Your changing pad is attached to the dresser.
- Strong Polypropylene Strap - Intended of light-duty applications
- Quick-Release Buckle For Easy Securing and Adjustments
- Easily Cut To Desired Length
Another simple way to attach the changing pad to your dresser is with nylon straps that have a buckle at the end. You screw the end of one strap to the front of the dresser and the other end to the back of it.
Then, pull the straps up and lay them flat on top of the dresser. Put the changing pad on top, and cross the straps up and over it. Finally, buckle it in the center of the changing pad.
This will keep the pad from slipping, both in use and not in use.
- 100% MADE IN THE USA: All of our rug pads are 100% made in the USA. You can be proud to put a higher quality product in...
- DURABLE AND STRONG: All of our non-adhesive rug pads are constructed of premium materials for long-lasting quality to...
- FLOOR PROTECTION: Open grid construction allows rugs to breath and will help protect your floors from damage. And...
Additionally, you can purchase non-skid mats to stick a changing pad to the dresser. These are typically used to keep rugs from slipping on the floor, but they can serve the same purpose with a changing pad.
This is a very simple method. All you have to do is cut the mat to fit both the dresser and the changing pad. Then, stick the mat to the top of the dresser, and the changing pad will stick on top of it.
Sticky changing pads
Finally, if you're really trying to save money, your best bet would be to purchase a changing pad that is adhesive. The issue with these, however, is that the residue can loosen over time. So, you have to be careful and make sure it doesn't start to slip.
Using Your New Changing Pad
Overall, the main features to look at when choosing the best changing pad for you and your baby are comfort and safety. If a changing pad doesn’t provide those two things, it’s useless.
Do you have a changing pad that you love that we didn't mention in our list? Let us know in a comment!
Featured Image Source: Unsplash.com