One of the most significant decisions to make before your new baby arrives is where the little one is going to sleep. Will they sleep in their crib right away, or are you going to purchase one of the best bassinet choices on the market for the first few months of their life?
It can be a tough decision, and it can be an even more difficult decision trying to choose the right bassinet. You want your baby to be comfortable but safe, but you also want to stay within your budget.
However, before you choose the best bassinet brand, it’s essential to learn about bassinets and why they’re so beneficial to your baby.
ALL ABOUT BABY BASSINETS
You might be wondering precisely what a bassinet is, and how they differ from a crib. If you have a crib, do you need a bassinet?
What Is A Bassinet?
A bassinet is a small sleeping space for your baby. These are generally used during the baby’s first few months of life, as they’re small and portable to allow your baby to sleep in the same room as you.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infants sleep in the same room as their parents, but in their own sleeping space, such as a crib or bassinet. This can significantly reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death (SIDS). In the United States, approximately 3,500 babies die annually from sleep-related deaths, including SIDS and accidental suffocation.
How Is A Bassinet Different Than A Crib?
Bassinets are different from cribs in various ways, the most significant being their size.
Bassinets are much smaller than a crib, so this can be a good option if you decide to room-share. If your bedroom is small and won’t fit a crib, then a smaller bassinet will be perfect for you.
Also, bassinets are generally on the lower side, price-wise. So, if you’re not ready to make the crib investment quite yet, you can save some money with a bassinet. Of course, you’ll eventually have to take the plunge and buy a crib once your baby outgrows the bassinet. But starting with a bassinet can give you more time to save up for a crib.
Additionally, bassinets can be much easier to use than a crib, especially for recovering mothers. If you had a hard delivery or a C-section, or if you’re nursing, then a bassinet can be extremely convenient. Many babies are side-sleepers, so you won’t even have to get out of bed to reach your baby. If they’re not a side-sleeper, your baby will be close by and easy to reach with the bassinet’s low sides.
Choosing Between A Bassinet And A Crib
If you are trying to decide between buying a bassinet or crib for your newborn, then you should probably consider the size of your home and the investment that you’re willing to make. If you have a smaller room and are looking to room-share, then you should probably go with a bassinet.
However, a crib, while more expensive, can be a better investment. This is because a crib will last longer, as many cribs even convert to a toddler bed. There are also some out there that will convert to a full-sized bed in the end!
Ultimately, choosing between a crib and a bassinet is a personal preference. Many parents will have both because it’s near impossible to know which one you’ll prefer until you have your baby.
Benefits Of Bassinets
One of the primary advantages of utilizing a bassinet is that they are small. And sometimes, your baby will look cozier in a bassinet.
There are numerous guidelines on keeping your baby safe in a crib, and these include not using any soft linens, including crib bumpers, blankets, and pillows. This makes a large crib look extremely bare, especially with your little one in it.
That’s why a smaller bassinet can be an advantage. You can swaddle your baby in one, and it won’t seem like they’re in a huge, empty space. They’ll look adorable and feel cozy!
Another advantage to bassinets is it’s much easier to move your baby in and out of a bassinet than a crib. They have much lower sides. This is ideal for moms recovering from a difficult birth or a C-section, as bending over can be a significant struggle.
Bassinets are typically at the perfect height and feature low sides so that you don’t have to lean over the tall rail to reach your baby.
Finally, one of the main advantages of using a bassinet is the fact that they are portable. You can easily move one around the entire house so that your baby can always be near you when they are napping. This is also a fantastic option for travel, as many bassinets can either be folded down or are made for travel.
HOW WE REVIEWED
To choose the best bassinet options, we looked at a variety of factors. First of all, we only chose bassinets that have 4.0 out of 5 stars on Amazon or better. A bassinet can seem great on the manufacturer’s website, but that could just be great marketing. It comes down to the reviews of customers who have used it.
Additionally, we looked at professional reviews to make sure that the bassinets are top-rated. These are linked throughout the article so that you can see for yourself. We also looked for certifications from various organizations, as well as whether or not the bassinet meets government safety standards.
Finally, we chose a variety of different options, because everyone has different preferences. We looked at portable and travel-friendly options, side-sleepers, and more.
TOP 13 BEST BASSINET CHOICES FOR YOUR BABY
Here are our top 13 best bassinet choices for your baby.
1. Graco Pack ‘n Play Snuggle Suite LX Playard
No products found.
This Pack ‘n Play from Graco features a removable baby bassinet. This can be a comfortable place for your baby to rest. But, what makes it the best bassinet is the fact that it also can be used as a playpen or a portable bouncer.
The fact that this can transition to a play yard makes it perfect for a growing baby. You can use it for several years.
This Pack ‘n Play features a portable and comfortable infant seat that also works as a portable bouncer. It includes a changing station too, so you’ll have a convenient changing spot for your baby up to 30 pounds. You can use the bassinet for a baby up to 15 pounds.
This play yard has comforting songs and sounds, light to check in on them at night, and a full-sized play area.
Many parents are a huge fan of this play yard. The only downside seems to be that it has fixed wheels. It has an impressive rating of 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon.
- Spacious play area
- Can grow with your baby
- Removable bassinet
- Fixed wheels
2. Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet
- Calming sway motion generated by you or baby
- Dual mode lighting; Choose from soothing projection and night light (Light projection unit is removable and can be...
- Flat sleeping surface with deluxe overhead mobile
This is the best bassinet for soothing and calming your baby to sleep. It features a comfortable sleeping pad and an overhead mobile that will mesmerize your baby.
The Fisher-Price bassinet even has light features, such as an overhead projector. You can also remove it from the bassinet and use it as a tabletop soother, too. There’s also a night light setting, so you can have extra security to check on your little one at night.
This bassinet has a calming sway motion that can be generated by either you or your baby. It also has mesh sides, so it provides excellent airflow. It boasts a 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Mesh sides provide airflow
- Overhead mobile
- Projection lights and nightlight
- Projection lights and nightlight
- Easy assembly: no tools required
- Not easy to travel with
- Might rock too much when your baby reaches 10 pounds
3. BabyBjorn Baby Cradle
- Lulls your baby to sleep with relaxing, gentle rocking movement
- JPMA Certified Product with low height and transparent mesh fabrics allowing for secure supervision of your baby
- Easy to move around the house so you can always have your child close to you day and night
This baby cradle by BabyBjorn also provides gentle and soothing rocking motions to your baby. It has a mesh fabric that offers excellent airflow.
This bassinet is easy to move around the house, and you can even fold it up if you want to travel with it. When folded, it’s only 5 inches high, which is what makes it one of the best bassinet choices.
The mattress for this cradle is machine-washable.
Because it has a low height and mesh fabric, it gives you a good sense of supervision over your baby. It is meant for babies from the newborn stage up to 6 months in age. However, they recommend that you stop using it once your baby reaches 18 pounds.
This bassinet has 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon. It also has a 9.5 out of 10 score from My Traveling Baby.
- Mesh fabric
- Rocking motion to soothe baby
- No toys, lights, or other accessories
4. Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bassinet
- LIGHTS AND SOUNDS: Features a calming nightlight and soothing music. Baby bassinet requires 4 AA batteries (not...
- PERFECT FOR NAPS OR BEDTIME: Adjustable, removable canopy helps block light to create a serene sleep environment
- EASY TO USE: Large storage basket provides ample storage for all things baby | Locking wheels for easy room-to-room...
This Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bassinet from Delta Children is considered the best bassinet by many people, for many reasons.
For starters, this bassinet features a modern, gender-neutral design. Its design matches perfectly with almost any room. Additionally, it features a nightlight and music player that will play soothing lullabies to get your baby to sleep.
Best of all, this bassinet has a large dual storage basket on the bottom. You can store any baby necessities here, like diapers, linens, and wipes.
This bassinet comes with a water-resistant pad, a fitted sheet, and a removable canopy. The manufacturer recommends it for newborns up to 15 pounds. Additionally, it has locking wheels and easy room-to-room mobility for added safety.
This bassinet measure 33 inches by 17 inches by 45 inches. It meets the strict American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards. Finally, the Delta Children bassinet also boasts certification by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA). It has 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Easy assembly
- JPMA certified
- Some users have issues with the canopy and fitted sheet
- Some find the music annoying
- People have trouble contacting customer service
5. Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet and Bedside Sleeper
- SAFE and COMFORT- Sleep soundly knowing that your baby is safer and comfortable
- MOBILE- It is lightweight enough to move from room to room for convenience.
- ADJUSTABLE- 6-positions allow height adjustment to adapt the sleeper height to most adult beds.
If you’re willing to invest a bit more money on the best bassinet, then this one by Baby Delight could be the one for you. This bassinet doubles as a bedside sleeper, so your little one can be right there beside you throughout the night. So, this bassinet makes it easy for you to check up on your newborn at night, especially for nursing and comfort.
As a bassinet, it has breathable mesh walls that will circulate air while also providing the baby with a comfortable and private sleeping area. As a bedside sleeper, you unzip the side panel that’s closest to your bed and pull it right up to the side of your bed. In addition, you get attached straps that will safely secure the bassinet to an adult bed
It even has a six-position height adjustment that allows you to adapt it to most adult beds. The bassinet measures 37 inches by 22.5 inches by 30.75 inches. It has 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Doubles as a bedside sleeper
- Breathable mesh walls
- Tool-free assembly
- Doesn’t work well for travel
6. Milliard Side Sleeper Bedside Bassinet
- TWO MODES – can be used as a STANDALONE BASSINET, and as a SIDE-SLEEPER bassinet, attached to an adult bed.
- SAFE – Meets or exceeds all US safety regulations for side-sleeper bassinets + EASY ASSEMBLY with clear instructions...
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE to accommodate bed heights of 23”-31” high. Measure from the top of the adult mattress to the...
This is another option for the best bassinet that doubles as a side-sleeper for your bed. It is height-adjustable to accommodate adult bed heights of 23 inches to 31 inches high.
This bassinet includes some storage pockets around it to easily fit all of your baby’s essentials, such as diapers and wipes. It also comes with a waterproof mattress encasement and a washable sheet.
A unique element to this bassinet is that Milliard says it can provide reflux relief and alleviate cold symptoms for your baby if you set the mattress on a slight incline. The mattress can hold babies up to 20 pounds and measures 43.6 inches by 23.3 inches by 5.7 inches. It has 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Doubles as side-sleeper
- Provides reflux relief
- Storage options
- Comes with a low-quality travel bag
- No vibration or white noise options
7. Delta Children Ultimate Sweet Beginnings Bassinet: Disney Princess
- DISNEY PRINCESS DESIGN: Adorable Disney Princess print features glass slippers, carriages and flowers
- CALMING FEATURES: Electronic pod has a calming nightlight, vibration and soothing music | Requires four AA batteries...
- EASY TO USE: Gliding base rocks baby to sleep | Activate gliding motion with gentle push | Large storage basket provides...
Another option for the best bassinet is another one from Delta Children. This is the Ultimate Sweet Beginnings Bassinet, not to be confused with the Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bassinet that we mentioned earlier.
This bassinet is slightly more expensive than the other one. The option we are recommending is the Disney Princess one because it is unique and will be perfect for your little princess. They also offer different color options, too.
There aren’t too many differences between this bassinet and the deluxe one, other than the color options and the fact that this one has a vibrating feature. This ultimate version also features a nightlight and gentle vibration, just like the deluxe one.
It is made for babies up to 15 pounds and measures 35.5 inches by 21 inches by 45.5 inches. It has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Vibrating features
- Fun design options
- Not made for travel
8. Dream On Me Karley Bassinet
- Can be used indoors and outdoors Made of a polyester foam fabric
- Features a double canopy and sleeping pad Lightweight and versatile
- Quick folding mechanism Designed for infants up to 25 lbs.
If you’re looking for the best bassinet that is both lightweight and versatile, then the Dream On Me Karley might be your perfect choice. It is made of a polyester foam fabric and features a double canopy and sleeping pad.
This bassinet can be moved from room to room, and even outdoors, with no struggle. It does require some light assembly but is easy to set up. This bassinet is recommended for newborns up to 25 pounds.
The Karly Bassinet measures 35.50 inches by 18.30 inches by 47 inches. The mattress pad is 30 inches by 15 inches and is 1 inch thick as mandated by the ASTM and CPSC.
This Dream On Me bassinet has 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Easy assembly
- Can take it outdoors
- Easy to clean
- Requires assembly
- The 25-pound recommendation is an overestimate to reviewers
- Doesn’t include sheets
9. Ingenuity Foldaway Rocking Bassinet
- Travel with Baby's Favorite Place to Sleep
- Ready to use in seconds
- Easy one step fold making it easy to transport or store
This is the best bassinet if you’re looking for a functional one to travel with. It is incredibly lightweight and folds up in seconds.
This bassinet has rocking feet that you can use to soothe your baby. If your baby doesn’t enjoy the rocking motion, you can convert it to a stationary mode for sleeping.
Each end of this bassinet features breathable mesh panels that help improve airflow and keep your baby in sight. It has modern color options and will complement most decor.
This bassinet measures 27 inches by 21 inches by 38 inches. It is recommended for babies up 15 pounds. It also meets ASTM standards.
This bassinet from Ingenuity has 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Easy to travel with
- Easy to disassemble and reassemble
- Soothing rocking feature
- Sides aren’t entirely mesh, possibly causing breathing issues
- Some claim it is too lightweight
10. Dream On Me Traveler Portable Bassinet
- Sets up in seconds thanks to the convenient snap-on legs and one-piece top structure
- 1'' Mattress pad and Bassinet fabric can be easily wash clean
- Quick Folds. The compact fold fits easily in the included carrying bag, so you can take it anywhere
This is another option for the best bassinet that works well for travel. The Travel Portable Bassinet from Dream On Me is lightweight with mesh ends that provide airflow and visibility.
The frame is easy to fold and comes with a travel bag, so you can easily transport it anywhere. It also comes with a removable mattress pad.
This bassinet sets up in seconds, as it has convenient snap-on legs and a one-piece top structure. The mattress pad and bassinet fabric are easily washed clean.
The Dream On Me traveler bassinet is made for babies up to 25 pounds and measures 37 inches by 22 inches by 27 inches. It has 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Easy to travel with
- Large size
- Quick set up and takedown
- List Sides aren’t entirely mesh, possibly causing breathing issues
- Non-adjustable leg height
- The mattress pad can bunch up if baby moves around
11. Mika Micky Portable Bedside Sleeper
- Search "Mika Micky" on Amazon to get the fitted waterproof sheet for daily change. Easy to attach or remove from...
- 7 height positions to suit parents' bed. Two-side mesh makes more breathable and cozy room.
- Easy-open side panel for bedside mode.
This is another option for the best bassinet that doubles as a side-sleeper to your own bed.
The Mika Micky bassinet comes with two fastening straps to easily attach to your bed. It also has seven height positions, making it easy to suit your bed.
Both sides of this bassinet are made of mesh, providing airflow and easy visibility. The side panel easily opens for bedside use.
The Portable Bedside Sleeper is suitable for babies up 33 pounds, making it perfect for babies who are a bit larger than average. It measures 37.2 inches by 24.5 inches by 5.6 inches and has 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Fits babies up to 33 pounds
- Doubles as a side-sleeper
- Works well for fur babies
- The base could be more sturdy
- Not mesh all the way around
12. HALO Bassinet swivel sleeper Essentia Series
- Rotates and swivels 360 degrees to bring baby to you for close, safe sleep. Side wall lowers so tending to baby is easy....
- Unlike other bassinets, its 360 degrees rotation makes getting in and out of bed hassle-free. Ideal for nursing mothers...
- Stable 4-point base adjusts to fit most beds from 24" to 34" tall. Base easily tucks under bed and requires only 32"...
Many consider this bassinet from HALO to be the best bassinet on the market. Although a bit pricey, it is the only bassinet that rotates 360-degrees. This gives you convenience and safety.
Your baby can sleep close to you while still having his or her own sleeping area. This reduces the risks associated with bed-sharing. The swivel feature makes it easy to get in and out of bed.
This unique design means that your baby will be visible at eye-level. It has mesh walls, providing airflow around it. Its side wall lowers and returns automatically so that you can tend to your baby easily. This is ideal for moms who are still recovering or breastfeeding.
It has a four-point base that easily adjusts to fit most beds from 24 inches to 34 inches. It measures 19 inches by 12 inches by 35 inches.
This bassinet is made for babies up to 20 pounds. You should stop using it once your baby shows signs of rolling over or pushing themselves up.
Overall, this bassinet has 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Airflow with full-mesh sides
- Adjustable for your bed’s height
- Unique 360-degree rotation
- Add-on accessories cost extra
- Some users say the mattress doesn’t flush to the side
- Customers say the mattress is hard
13. Arm’s Reach Ideal Ezee 3 in 1 Co-Sleeper
- 80% PVC/20% polyester ; The Ideal Ezee 3 in 1 comes with more ventilation for even better breathability. Easy to...
- A 4-inch sleeping nest height.
- Attachment strap and resistant plate to provide the safest sleep solution for you and your newborn.
If you’re looking for the best bassinet option that is exceptionally versatile, this one from Arm’s Reach is the one for you. It works as a free-standing bassinet, play yard, and bedside sleeper.
It’s easy to assemble and is portable. You can easily change your baby’s diaper here, and it has side pockets for storage. This even has a 4-inch sleeping nest height with an attachment strap and plate to give your baby a safe sleeping solution.
It includes all of the accessories that you need, including a fitted sheet, mattress, nylon strap and plate, and a travel bag.
This bedside bassinet measures 39.5 inches 25.5 inches by 32 inches. It’s ultra-portable and folds quickly into its carrying case. Arm’s Reach recommends using this bassinet up to 5 months in age. When your baby starts pushing up on their hands or knees, they should stop using it.
This Arm’s Reach bassinet has 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Mesh surrounding
- Storage underneath
- Adjustable side
- Many reviewers say the mattress is a cheap plastic
- You need mini co-sleeper sheets, not regular ones
BEST BASSINET OPTIONS TO TRAVEL WITH
Although several of the full-sized bassinets can easily be made compact for traveling, some specific models were designed specifically for travel. Here are our two favorite travel options.
Munchkin Brica Fold ‘n Go Travel Bassinet
- Updated design with mesh panels, breathable fabric, and a locking frame provides both comfort and peace of mind
- Four-point Safe-T-Lock System for safety and security. Machine washable
- Double locking tubular steel frame is strong and durable
If you’re looking for the best bassinet solely to travel with, consider the Munchkin Brica Fold ‘n Go Travel Bassinet. It’s incredibly affordable and safe for your baby.
This travel bassinet is durable and lightweight. It features mesh sides to allow your baby breathability. It also has a four-point Safe-T-Lock system for additional safety and security.
The mattress is removable, and the sheet is machine washable, so it’s easy to clean. It is safe for babies up to 15 pounds and measures 30 inches by 18.5 inches by 10 inches.
- Easy to clean
- Perfect for travel
- Can’t be used for babies over 15 pounds
- Side rails aren’t padded
SwaddleMe Deluxe By Your Side Sleeper
- Provides a clear view of baby. Mesh sides help air circulate to protect baby from overheating.
- Folds flat for travel; Sturdy metal frame
- Soft, comfortable fabrics
Our second option for the best bassinet made for travel is the Deluxe By Your Side Sleeper from Summer’s SwaddleMe brand.
This sleeper is a great way to have your baby sleep next to you if you choose to do that. It has mesh sides that provide excellent airflow, and it gives easy access to your baby.
In addition, it also features a sound, light, and vibration unit, which can be rare with travel bassinets. It also includes a mattress pad and a fitted sheet.
Summer recommends you to use this travel bassinet from birth until the time that they can push themselves up or rollover. It measures 14.5 inches by 32 inches by 11 inches and has 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- Mesh breathability
- Sound, light, and vibration unit
- Can’t be used in your bed if you have someone sleeping with you
- Tends to lean toward you in bed
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR YOUR BABY
As we stated at the beginning of the article, bassinets can significantly reduce the risk of SIDS. This is because you can sleep in the same room as them, but they have their own sleeping space.
And in case the mention of SIDS worries you, here are some additional recommendations from the AAP, mainly dealing with sleep.
- Avoid soft bedding, like crib bumpers, blankets, pillows, and soft toys
- The crib should be bare with a tight-fitting sheet
- Place baby on his or her back on a firm sleeping surface, such as a bassinet or crib
- Avoid exposing the baby to alcohol, smoke, and illicit drugs
- Share a room with baby, ideally up to one year of age, but at least for the first six months
- Don’t sleep in your bed with the baby
- Breastfeeding is a recommended measure against SIDS
- After breastfeeding, move baby to separate sleeping space
- Skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby recommended for at least an hour after birth
- Offer a pacifier at naptime and bedtime
- Don’t use commercial devices that claim to reduce the risk of SIDS
- Give baby all recommended vaccinations
- Use supervised, awake tummy time to facilitate development
USING YOUR BASSINET
Image via Pexels
Now that you’ve learned the ins and outs of bassinets and what the best bassinet options are, you’re probably ready to buy one. Remember to keep safety and comfort in mind.
And if you’re too worried about a bassinet not being safe enough or sturdy enough, choose a different one. There are so many options on the market, you’re bound to find one that is perfect for you.
Do you have a favorite bassinet that we didn’t mention in this list? Let us know in a comment!